When we get swept into a spiral of anxiety, the stress of daily life feels almost undefeatable, but that doesn’t mean our dedication to self care should be compromised too. Here we explore five ways to reduce anxiety at work.
1. Regular Meditation. Meditation can give your mind a mental break. practiced daily our mind receives many noisy and visual messages that can easily overwhelm our mental focus. Give yourself a few minutes to breathe deeply, relax and say a simple thank you for a new day. Whether through prayer, reading or sitting in silence, the mind is able to recharge itself and release any negative thoughts that may inhibit your workflow.
Creativity is birthed out of a place of freedom; and allowing your mind to be free of clutter will generate fresh, innovative ideas.
2. Utilise Art. With the right music or visuals, you can embody a sense of peace within your desk space. Download music applications, such as Spotify or Soundcloud, to create playlist of your favorite artists. I have one for when I wake up with tunes that help me feel happy! A sense of familiarity from those playlists instantly allows the mind to gain the motivation to carry on a successful workday. As analytical tasks or tedious projects can be quite mundane, surrounding yourself with art will bring an extra boost of energy that turns stress into positive determination.
3. Talk to your colleagues about your anxiety. Being open with colleagues creates a bond in a hard-working team. If you are feeling the weight of multiple projects, make known your concerns and ask for help. In humbling ourselves, we are able to create a strong community, where we can lift each other’s weaknesses up. A team that is willing to value people will take the time to value personal struggles, too. When you keep frustrations to yourself, it affects your demeanour and potentially give off the wrong message. As you make known your anxiety in a professional way, you are allowing for mutual understanding, which can help avoid damaging fall-outs.
4. Daily Exercise. Exercise such as cardio equips people to release endorphins that lead to a happier self. It boosts hormones that make you feel good, the sweaty mess is worth it! Chose a time to commit to working out for at least 15 to 30 minutes a day. Exercise enhances quality of life and produces tangible results for the body and mind. Instead of allowing anxiety and stress to build up inside, make a point to exercise in order to combat the negative energy. People at work deserve to see the best version of you. By exercising you are giving yourself the opportunity to take care of yourself first in order to better serve others.
5. One step at a time. Create a calendar that features every project deadline assigned for the next few months. Pace your work intentionally to accomplish a variety of tasks during your personal peak times. One of the easiest lies to believe is that we have to do it all, and we have to do it all right now. Because of our limited capacity as human beings, it’s impossible to accomplish fifty projects simultaneously. Be as productive as possible without having to compromise the state of your health. With assurance, take on the tasks in a productive manner that allow for you to create a balanced work schedule.
What would you like to add to this list for reducing anxiety in the workplace? Share in the comments below!